<span class="highlight">Simpson</span> Desert Feedback

Gavin's & Lean's Outback Trek,
A short note on our trek during July. My wife and I own a 1991 Holden Rode Dual cab and our friends own a Land Rover Defender and together we completed a 6,000+ Kilometre trek leaving the Sunshine coast to Beenleigh heading west to Toowoomba, Roma, Mitchell, Charleville, Cunnamulla, Eulo, Hungerford, Thargomindah, Noccundra, The Dig Tree, Innamincka, Lyndhurst, Leigh Creek ,Marree, Coward Springs, William Creek, Oodnadatta to Dalhousie Springs via Hamilton back to Mt.Dare (to fuel up). We then travelled over The Simpson Desert traversing most tracks (we did all the WAA Line which we thought was the best track) we were able to visit The Lone Gum and Approdinna Knolls to Poeppel's Corner and over Big Red which both the Rodeo and Land Rover went over first try (so much for the detractors of Rodeo's saying that they are only good for for getting into building and not suited to hard off road treks). We then proceeded to Birdsville through some flood water, we went back to Big Red two days later and went back up Little Red then Big Red just for the fun of it again with no dramas. Whilst on Big Red we had to help a Land Cruiser over as he was stuck near the top, he wasn't impressed at having to be assisted and we also helped another Land Rover which had gear box problems (no reverse or fifth gear). We then travelled to, Windorah, Quilpie, Yowah back to St.George, Nindi Gully, Goondiwindi and home via Toowoomba.
Both vehicles performed faultlessly all trip with fuel consumption (both vehicles are Diesels) figures excellent at an average for the Rodeo at 8.5l/100 and the Defender just over 9l/100.
Complaints:
Why can't people take their rubbish with them, there was toilet paper, tissues, cans etc.everywhere. We managed to keep ours with us it's not too hard to do.
Trailers, should be left behind, they are causing lots of problems, also don't be afraid to let your tyre pressures down as this is causing as much damage as trailers.
In closing it was a fantastic trek and we would not hesitate do do all over again, Rodeos can do it and Defenders do make one of the best off road vehicles. We planned this trek over a twelve month period working out what we would need and what we could get by without, between us we had winches, recovery gear, spares, tools and of course some of Scotland's best and some wine for the girls. There is nothing better than setting up camp and watching the Sun go down and the Full Moon come up over the Desert while having a quiet drink and contemplating what we had done and what was ahead.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Scoof - Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 at 20:43

Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 at 20:43
What kind of damage are the Trailers doing.

Kind Regards , Scoof. :-)
AnswerID: 321590

Follow Up By: Scoof - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 15:28

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 15:28
Cumon ms gavin,

We are all waiting to hear how the trailers damage things.

Kind Regards Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 588596

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 at 21:13

Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 at 21:13
msgavin,

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments about rubbish and toilet paper etc..... also tyre pressures are definitely the key!!

But I'm not convinced that trailers are detrimental to the desert.... I think the desert is probably more detrimental to a trailer!! I heard of a trailer (we were out there in June) that made it to Birdsville with a bent drawbar and a busted water tank... The gouges that trailer hitches dig into the sand get repaired when next the wind blows... I'm not sure I'd take my trailer across there, but only from the point of view that I don't wish to inflict serious damage to my c/t.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 321601

Follow Up By: Scoof - Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 at 21:33

Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 at 21:33
I'm of the same opion if you have never done it , towed a trailer over the Simpson best to shut up I recon.

That's a trailer ment for the rough roads and biult for a trip like the Simpson.
Not a trailer to take the garden waste to the tip.

I'm bit over the trailer bashers.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 588461

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 00:08

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 00:08
Gavin

Sounds like you had a great trip.

I (and I am sure many others on this forum) would be very interested for you to tell us all how trailers in the desert regions are doing all the damage to tracks

Cheers
AnswerID: 321642

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 15:51

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 15:51
I have done the Simpson twice now in the past 12 months and I have seen first hand the idiots who don't let down their tyres - both vehicles with trailers and without. The spinning of the tyres make divets in the sand which then lead to an very bumpy ride up and down.

I think the problem is bigger with people with trailers though because generally they are carrying more gear hence more weight (passengers in the car hence the trailer most of the time). More weight means a harder effort to get up the dunes therefore more wheel spin when getting up - ruining that dune for everyone else for the rest of the tourist season.

Banning trailers would be unfair (how do families with a full car do it and we want kids to appreciate areas like this so they grow up like us!). More education (signs dedicated to trailer owners) and maybe the local cops having a bigger presence with tyre pressures??
AnswerID: 321745

Follow Up By: Scoof - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 16:51

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 16:51
Gossy ,
So trailers don't do the damage it's the wheel spin .

That makes sence . So maybe like you say tyre pressures and education is the problem here . Not trailers .

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 588611

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 at 13:41

Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 at 13:41
I towed a trailer and we met Scrubby on the Simpson a couple of times.
The question of trailers and the damage they are supposed to cause.
My observations are that a tyre with an aggressive tread pattern and not deflated will dig a hole very very quickly with only minor wheelspin. With too higher pressure the car starts to bounce the wheel spins and a hole is the result.
Tyre pressures and right foot control is the answer.
Pinko
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 588742

Reply By: msgavin - Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 at 20:34

Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 at 20:34
It would appear that my comments and opinions of others have upset some trailer owners, however, as I stated trailers were causing lots of problems, the main complaint is people who are too scared to let down their tyre pressures. it is not only evident in the Desert look at the beach drivers who don't do it the end result is the same. I mentioned that we did the full length of the WAA Line where there was not as much evidence of trailer damage as there was on The French Line. the damage is mostly evident on approach and departure with the gouging effect equal to the distance between rear wheels of vehicle and trailer, we saw very little evidence of draw bar dragging as it is easily covered by the shifting sand. I would think and most agree let your tyres down, I'm sure that if you do not have a compressor someone in your party will. Birdsville and Mt. Dare both have air so re inflation would not be a problem. I have had my say and am prepared to leave it at that, however, I will reply to all messages but as I am not always able to check my e-mails every day it may take a couple of days to reply.The end result is let us all enjoy the Desert before some bureaucrat sees us enjoying ourselves and decides to put a stop to anyone having access to it.

Cheers to all, Mick
AnswerID: 321886

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 at 21:43

Saturday, Aug 23, 2008 at 21:43
Hey Mick
It has to be those Kimberly Kampers because the the distance you mention is a full metre more than mine.
Go to Jol Fleming's website and he will explain how to match the front tyre footprint with the rear ones.
Jol, who is a very experienced desert traveller and also is unfortunately an incomplete quadriplegic has to tow a trailer for obvious reasons. What he does not know is not worth knowing in relation to vehicle preparation.
Pinko
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 588831

Sponsored Links